Wednesday, November 5

Day in Puerto Vallarta

My adventure to PV yesterday was great.  It had all the makings of a true mexican adventure, starting with the bus ride!!  PV is no longer the small town I remember, it is a big city, and with that has unfortunatly lost alot of its charm.  The locals are no longer untouched by the mighty dollar, their friendliness seems to be fake now where once it was authentic.  Everything is big, loud and in your face.  I went back to the old town of PV, the other side of the river where I was most comfortable 19 years ago, but found nothing familiar except for Andale's. This was the Canadian hang out, where you were sure to run into someone you knew or knew someone you knew.  The drinks were cheap and the locals very friendly.  The place looks the same, but nothing else...development...yuk!
Anyhow I walked for miles along the malecon (beach board walk) and enjoyed PV for what it was and is now...it is still mexico and it still has its own charm and excitment.  Then the bus ride back...gosh, these bus drivers must all have a small death wish...yikes, holy fast around the corners, through jungle roads that are hardly wide enough for two buses to pass and signs warning of cows on the road!!  The ride was entertaining thou, I was in the back of the bus (ya ya I know, where Jami the trouble maker always sits) with the mexican version of rebel rousers...three women my age, had just spent a day shopping and feeling pretty good and cheekie.  Even thou we were challenged to speak to one another, the theme of the conversation was quite clear...we had some good laughs!
The best part of the day was getting back to Sayulita!  Quiet, real and friendly!  I crawled to the local bar, sat myself in a chair hammock and enjoyed two (drinks always come in two in Sayulita) margaritas and a moment of thankfulness!